Monitor Your Activity
Compliance Audit Process
In addition to ongoing training, you should conduct regular HIPAA compliance audits. Regular monitoring and audits are necessary for understanding whether or not members of your staff are effectively following your privacy and security compliance policies and procedures.
Be sure to examine patient records, information storage systems, and whether or not your policies and procedures are being followed by your staff and business associates.
Consider the entirety of your practice and every manner in which you might use patient information. Then, develop or revise policies to protect it sufficiently.
Here are some areas to keep in mind as you consider the scope of your auditing process:
- Audit your information system activity to track access and identify any potential anomalies.
- Track employee access and sharing of protected health information.
- Monitor and keep a log of authorized and unauthorized users' access request.
- Monitor workstation logins.
- Track business or legal changes that may require a revision to your compliance program.
Compliance Audit Checklists
How the HIPAA Institute can help?
The HIPAA Institute can help make monitoring and auditing easier by seamlessly incorporating these practices into your routine activities. Here are some package features that can assist you in monitoring activity and auditing your HIPAA compliance program.
- Compliance alert PDFs: Email alerts from our experts on the top compliance stories from the quarter.
- Ask a compliance expert: Expert answers to your most pressing compliance questions.
- Website and Privacy checklist: Online checklists to help you get your website and practice in compliance.
- Security checklist: Online checklist to help you identify the gaps and implement compliance.
- Risk Assessment checklist: Online checklist to help you perform regular risk assessment, a required task essential for continued compliance.
- Business associate checklist: Online checklist to help you determine what your business associates need to do to help you stay compliant.